Summer is the perfect time to enjoy some Strawberry Shortcakes, and in this case Strawberry Shortcakes with Cornmeal Drop Biscuits! I love this recipe so much! The cornmeal biscuits are so good on their own (especially served warm with some soft butter and honey), but they also go really well with the sweetened strawberries and whipped cream! I think the biscuits also make this traditional dessert just a little bit more special. The fact that we’re making drop biscuits also make things a lot easier and less messy; no need to roll and cut them out.
This is also a great make ahead dessert for a group of people. You can make the biscuits up to 3 days ahead of time and then just have the macerated strawberries and whipped cream made the morning of your get together and refrigerated until you’re ready to use them. You may want to give the strawberries and whipped cream an extra stir before assembling the shortcakes, but that’s it! Enjoy! xx, Jenny
Hungry for more?
Strawberry Shortcakes with Cornmeal Drop Biscuits
- 1 ¾ cups flour, whisked to remove lumps
- ⅔ cup (polenta style) cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold, unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 ½ pounds strawberries, hulled and halved lengthwise
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ juice lemon
sweetened soft whipped cream
- 1 ½ cups cold whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Recipe instruction visual controls:
- Preheat oven to 450˚F: Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside.
- Place flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a mixing bowl and whisk together. Add butter to flour mixture and break apart, using the back of a fork or your hands until a fine, mealy texture evenly forms throughout.
- Stir in buttermilk until just combined and no dry spots remain.
- Scoop 1/3 cup sized scoops onto the prepared baking sheet, 1 inch apart, and bake biscuits for 14 to 16 minutes or until lightly browned on top.
- Strawberries: While biscuits bake, place strawberries, sugar and lemon juice into another mixing bowl and toss together. Set aside to allow berries to macerate.
- Sweetened cream: Place cream and sugar into another mixing bowl and whisk together until soft to medium peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Once biscuits have baked, remove from oven and allow them to cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Assemble: Split each biscuit in half crosswise, and top each bottom half with a couple spoonfuls of the lightly whipped cream. Top whipped cream with a couple spoonfuls of macerated strawberries and serve.