We’re so excited that spring is here, so we decided to make a delicious Strawberry and Chamomile Eton Mess recipe. We topped this super easy recipe with fresh macerated strawberries since they’re in season right now. The chamomile adds such a nice element of flavor as well and are really pretty too. Finishing this eton mess off with passionfruit is totally optional, but if you ever catch them at the market it’s worth it!
What is Eton Mess?
Eton mess is a gluten free English dessert, traditionally consisting of meringue, whipped cream and strawberries folded together.
What is the Origin?
It’s commonly believed that eton mess was created by Eton college and served during their annual cricket match against Harrow school. It’s named after the school as well as the ‘messy’ nature of the dessert by mixing everything together.
How is Eton Mess made?
Eton mess is made by macerating strawberries with lemon juice and sugar (we’ve also added honey to our mixture). You then crush meringue and place it into a bowl and fold it together with lightly whipped cream. You can then either fold the macerated strawberries into the mixture scoop them on top. It can also be made with other summer fruit.
If you love this eton mess recipe, check out our Salted Honey and Fig Eton Mess version too!
Strawberry and Chamomile Eton Mess
- 12 strawberries hulled and quartered
- 3 tbsp honey warmed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 12 meringue cookies broken into small pieces
- 12 chamomile flowers
- 2 passion fruit
- Place strawberries, honey and lemon juice in a mixing bowl and toss together. Allow mixture to sit for 5 to 7 minutes.
- In another mixing bowl combine heavy cream, sugar and vanilla. Beat together until medium peaks form.
- Reserve 1 cup whipped cream and pouring meringue cookies into remaining whipped cream and fold together.
- To assemble: Spread whipped cream and meringue mixture onto a platter and smooth the top. (should be about 2 inches thick)
- Top mixture with reserved whipped cream and smooth the top again
- Using a slotted spoon, spoon strawberries on top of the bed of whipped cream and top with chamomile flowers.
- Dot passion fruit on top and serve.