This recipe for Spiced Chicken Topped Tachin is simple, really delicious and mainly all about the tachin, or the savory baked saffron, yogurt rice with an addicting crisp crust. I seriously love this rice dish so much and it makes for a really easy and lazy meal to throw together. It only requires a few ingredients (the tachin part) and it’s a great reason to break out that expensive saffron you have tucked away at the back of your cabinet for special occasions; trust me, this super fragrant, baked rice is a special occasion in itself.
I topped my version with equally easy and delicious spiced chicken and usually throw some roasted veg on the side, but you can also just as easily top yours with a couple fried eggs and call it a day. My favorite part is the crispy baked edges of rice and how it balances so well with the little pops of tangy dried cranberries hidden between the layers. If you’re looking for a simple weeknight meal to make for your family, roommates, or just for yourself, this Spiced Chicken Topped Tachin is perfect and will last for DAYS. Enjoy! xx, Jenny
Ingredients: 2/3 cup dried cranberries, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes and drained Directions:
Spiced Chicken Topped Tachin
Serves 6 to 8
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cubed into bite sized pieces
1 tablespoon cumin
2 teaspoons coriander
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cups basmati rice
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
2 quarts water
1 teaspoon saffron threads
1 tablespoon warm water
1 1/4 cups Greek yogurt
1 stick unsalted butter melted and divided
2 large eggs plus 1 large egg yolk
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
whole or chopped cilantro leaves, for serving
1. Spiced chicken: Place chicken and a large mixing bowl and top with remaining ingredients. Thoroughly toss and mix together until fully and evenly combined.
2. Cover, refrigerate and marinate for about 1 hour.
3. Parboiled rice: Bring 2 quarts water to a boil. Add rice and salt and boil for 5 minutes. Completely drain and transfer to a large mixing bowl and cool, about 15 minutes.
4. Saffron Rice: Preheat oven to 400˚F.
5. In a mixing bowl combine saffron threads and warm water. Allow mixture to steep for 5 minutes. Stir in Greek yogurt, 7 tablespoons butter, eggs and egg yolk and salt. Stir to combine.
6. Pour mixture over parboiled rice and stir together until completely combined.
7. Brush 9” pie or cake dish (glass works best) with remaining tablespoon of melted butter and add half of the rice mixture, pressing down firmly, creating an even layer.
8. Sprinkle soaked cranberries evenly over rice and top with remaining rice mixture, pressing down firmly once again.
9. Cover dish with foil and bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes or until rice has cooked through and created a golden crust against the baking dish.
10. While rice is baking, cook spiced chicken. Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once skillet is hot, add oil and chicken and brown chicken on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes.
11. Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook chicken until just cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper as needed.
12. Once tachin has baked through, remove from oven and allow it to rest, about 10 minutes.
13. Remove foil and carefully invert tachin onto a large platter to unmold.
14. Top tachin with some of the chicken, serving more on the side and top with whole or chopped cilantro leaves. Serve.
2/3 cup dried cranberries, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes and drained