Today we have a pretty good winter flatbread situation for you. This is one of those easy recipes that you can make to eat as a meal, or as a perfect appetizer. We used Stonefire’s pizza crust because it tastes really good and it’s pre baked, which means you only need to top it and bake it for a little bit until everything get’s nice and toasty. Any flatbread will work!
Sweet potatoes are in abundance right now and added that with some cheese and caramelized onions. We then topped out savory flatbread with some fried sage leaves because it’s super tasty, and also very pretty. We love to pair this with a simple salad:
Looking for more ways to use up all those sweet potatoes? Here are some more recipes you might like:
Hungry for more?
Roasted Sweet Potato and Caramelized Onion Flatbread
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup peeled and diced sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ yellow onion, thinly sliced
- pinch sugar
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced thyme
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Stonefire Flatbread
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- In a mixing bowl toss oil and sweet potatoes together. Season with salt and pepper and spread onto a baking sheet.
- Roast sweet potatoes for about 25 minutes or until golden brown and fork tender, stirring occasionally.
- While the sweet potatoes roast, melt butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and sugar and stir together. Caramelize onions for about 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To assemble: Preheat oven to 400˚F. Place flatbread onto a baking sheet and top with 1/3 of the cheese. Sprinkle half the sweet potatoes and onions over the cheese and top with 1/3 of the cheese. Sprinkle remaining sweet potatoes and onions over the surface and top with remaining cheese. Sprinkle with minced thyme and crushed pepper flakes. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the flatbread has toasted. Finished with fresh cracked black pepper, slice and serve.
- *Makes 1 Flatbread