I love okonomoyaki, a lot. So much that we put the recipe in our book The Perfect Egg. Then, Jenny had a very genius idea of making them into fries. Basically it’s all the okonomoyaki topping goodness, katsu sauce, kewpie, green onions and bonito flakes all topped with fresh baked french fries. This is the easiest recipe in the whole world, and such a really delicious appetizer snacky situation that is great for whatever sports season is coming up or happening… Obviously I don’t know about these things, but what I do know is fries with toppings are good, and these toppings make fries better.
Hungry for more?
- 1 pound frozen (store bought) French fries
- katsu sauce
- kewpie or mayonnaise from a squeeze bottle
- furikake seasoning
- green onions, thinly sliced
- bonito flakes optional
- Bake or shallow fry frozen French Fries according to the packaged instructions.
- Lightly season fries with salt and pepper.
- Spread fries onto a shallow surfaced platter/plate/bowl and top with a generous drizzle of katsu sauce, kewpie/mayonnaise, a sprinkle of furikake, bonito flakes (if using) and thinly sliced green onion.
- Serve immediately.
- *Makes 1 pound