We love cornmeal biscuits, so we made a super simple recipe for Havarti and Green Onion Cornmeal Drop Biscuits. This recipe are really easy to throw together, or make ahead for when the time is right. The cornmeal adds a really nice texture to these drop biscuits. We love serving these with butter and honey as a snack, or my personal favorite way, broken up and put on top of a bowl of our Kitchen Sink Chili.
We like to use medium grind cornmeal in this recipe. You can find medium grind cornmeal in most grocery stores. We prefer the texture of medium grind because it adds a little bit of crunchiness, but they are not sandy. We love Bob’s Red Mill Medium Grind Cornmeal.
How do you make Drop Biscuits from scratch?
Making drop biscuits from scratch is incredibly easy and just takes four steps.
1. Add you dry ingredients into a bowl and whisk together
2. Cut in your grated butter until a fine meal forms.
3. Fold in your mix-ins (like shredded Havarti cheese and green onions) and stir in your milk.
4. Drop spoonfuls on a baking sheet and bake.
Cornmeal Drop Biscuit Variations
While we love the combo in our Havarti and Green Onion Cornmeal Drop Biscuits recipe, you can definitely substitute Havarti cheese with any other cheese of you choice. You can also omit the green onions all together. Some other favorite mix-ins we love are crumbled bacon, cheddar cheese, gruyere, chives, and corn kernels. The sky is the limit!
You can freeze these cornmeal drop biscuits ahead for use when you are ready. Follow the recipe instructions, and instead of putting the drop biscuits into the oven, pop them into the freezer. Once they are completely frozen you can store them in an airtight bag in the freezer. When you are ready to bake follow the recipe instructions. You may have to add a couple of minutes onto the baking to compensate for the cornmeal biscuits being frozen.
Hungry for more?
Havarti and Green Onion Cornmeal Drop Biscuits
- 1¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup cornmeal medium grind
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup unsalted butter (1 stick) frozen and shredded
- 4 ounces havarti cheese shredded
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 cup whole milk
Recipe instruction visual controls:
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Place flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and pepper into a mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Cut in grated butter until just incorporated and a fine meal forms.
- Fold in the Havarti and green onions and gently stir in the milk until no dry spots remain.
- Drop 1/4 cup sized scoops onto a baking sheet lined with parchment and bake for 18-20 minutes or until biscuits have lightly browned on top and have cooked through.
- Allow biscuits to cool for 7 to 10 minutes before serving.