Hey Guys! Today we have a Five Cheese Baked Mac & Cheese for you. What a great comfort dish, right? Who doesn’t love a great mac and cheese and who can’t eat this year round? After yesterday’s food/booze fest (some call the Super Bowl) my liver’s a little mad at me and that’s okay, because I kind of feel like this mac and cheese can fix anything…you know, food that can just do that? Bombed a huge meeting? Go eat some mac and cheese…..Failed a test or final?…..go make and eat this dish…….car problems?….mac and cheese will make it go away. Okay fine, so maybe mac and cheese won’t create world peace and solve all the problems in the world, but man a big bowl of this stuff will make you very happy…for a short period at least. :)
Everyone should go home, make a big batch of this and share it with loved ones….really, it’s delicious, easy and everyone will love you for it! Enjoy! xx, Jenny
Other mac and cheese recipes you might love:
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to never miss a recipe.
Five Cheese Mac & Cheese
- 1 pound dry gemelli pasta can substitute elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 ½ tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 ounces white extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 ounces Gruyere, shredded
- 3 ounces Havarti, shredded
- 3 ounces Manchego, shredded
- 1.5 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated
- 12 ounces cooked bacon, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chives, thinly sliced
- 3 slices sourdough bread, crusts removed and cut into ¼ inch cubes
- ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons chives, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- salt and pepper to taste
- For topping: Toss all ingredients together in a mixing bowl until all cubes are coated in butter. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Set aside until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Once the water comes to a boil add a generous amount of salt (2½ – 3 tablespoons) and then the pasta.
- Boil pasta for 10 to 12 minutes or until al dente, stirring occasionally. Drain pasta and set aside in a large mixing bowl.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Sprinkle flour over butter mixture and whisk together. Allow mixture to cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Whisk milk into flour mixture and continue to whisk until fully incorporated and no lumps remain. Allow mixture to simmer until thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Place all shredded and grated cheeses into a mixing bowl and toss together with lemon juice.
- Stir cheese into the béchamel sauce and stir until cheese just melts and creates a smooth sauce.. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fold cheese sauce into pasta until just combined. Fold in bacon and chives until completely mixed.
- Pour macaroni into a buttered 8”x8” baking dish and spread evenly. Sprinkle the top with the buttered cubes of sourdough and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow macaroni and cheese to cool for about 7 minutes before serving.
Did you make this recipe? We want to see!
tag @SpoonForkBacon and #SpoonForkBacon on Instagram
Sorry – I’m a bit lost on how to measure the cheeses without a scale. Any suggestions on volume measurements? Thanks!
Made it tonight and it’s amazing!! Best Mac and Cheese recipe I’ve tried. Thanks!
I made this last night for a dinner party and replaced the Manchego with Gouda. It was INCREDIBLE, and my guests left happy and full.
i cannot WAIT to try this!
Anastasia of Passion & Obsession
I LOVE your design and the moving images!
Thank you so much!! I made it and it was… amazing!
Ottawa Food Photographer
Is it possible to make this the night before and then pop in the oven with the topping right before serving?
I can’t wait to make it!
Looks delicious and delighted to see our beautiful Mud baker being used for it! Love from The Mud Australia team
Teri Lyn Fisher
YAY! We looovveeeeee MUD!!! We were very excited to see the bakers boxes as a new addition for you guys and could not wait to get our hands on a few!
This looks AMAZING but I admit I am even more in love with your utensils. May I ask where you got them? I’ve been looking for gold silverware forever and these are gorgeous. :)
Teri Lyn Fisher
Bernadette @ Now Stir It Up
The mac and cheese that can fix anything… I have the perfect person to make this for. I am POSTIVIE this can cheer them up. Pinning, thanks!!
For all those times when four cheese is not enough….and yet six would seem like too many. You ladies really do have a recipe for every occasion!
Katie @ Blonde Ambition
The more cheese, the better, I say! Love the crunchy topping – that’s my second favorite part of mac & cheese (besides, as previously mentioned, the cheese.. haha).
Those little baby bread cubes may be the most adorable topping to mac and cheese in the history of the world!
Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking
I MADE THIS LAST NIGHT!!! It is like you read my mind. It was such a great Monday food! Thinking back on it, I find it odd that I have this many cheeses in my fridge at all times. I didn’t have havarti so I used plain old mozzarella, still sooooo good!
Yay Stefanie! I’m so glad you made it and enjoyed it!…”plain old mozz.” Sounds good to me!
Angela @ the fairy bread chronicles
oh my goodness. this is happening for me tonight i guarantee!
Bev @ Bev Cooks
Hurts. SO. good.
OH MY GOD
Major food envy, I’m making that for tomorrow! x
It looks amazing! I love the little bread cubes!
natalie @ wee eats
oh… my … god…
and the animation!? i love it!!
Averie @ Averie Cooks
The sour dough bread cubes are just so PERFECT looking. And love the ‘disappearing’ recipe and GIF you made!
Oh. My. Gosh. This looks incredible. The homemade topping seems so worth it. I’ve made macaroni topping with stale whole wheat bread and it was far and above store bought breadcrumbs. I can’t imagine how delicious this topping must be. Yes, macaroni and cheese cures a variety of ills :)
This looks really good :) You might have missed milk in the ingredients list.
Ah, totally did…thanks for pointing that out! Will fix shortly!
Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie
Ha, I love how that picture shows it disappearing, because that’s exactly what would happen
Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar
5 cheeses?! I’m in!