Hi! I’m back from Tokyo trip, jet lagged and all, totally missing all the amazing food I ate. I’m thinking about writing a little travel post of my experience, but we shall see! Getting back into the swing of things has been really difficult. I’m going to bed super late, and waking up really early, and I generally feel weird. I’m not sure if it’s me missing Tokyo, or the weird mental state no sleep is giving me, but either way I hope to be back to normal soon.
My favorite part of Tokyo was the ramen. SO. MUCH. RAMEN. So salty, so delicious. I think this is the reason I came home with swollen ankles. I felt like a sausage. Since being back I’ve been craving some sweets, so we decided to make this really chocolate to the extreme pound cake. This is our first of a series of posts with Almond Breeze, and we are so excited to create some great recipes with it. This Double Chocolate Pound is really easy to prepare, and the Vanilla Orange Glaze that you pour on top makes this chocolate pound just a little more special, and pretty. Enjoy!
Double Chocolate Pound Cake
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup superfine sugar (granulated is fine)
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- ⅔ cup Almond Breeze unsweetened almond milk
- 1 ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- zest and juice of 1 small orange
- ¼ cup Almond Breeze unsweetened almond milk
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 ½ to 3 cups sifted powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325˚F.
- Place flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a large mixing bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Stir in milk and vanilla until just combined.
- Pour dry mixture into wet mixture and stir together until fully combined. Fold in chocolate chips and pour batter into a well greased 9”x5” loaf pan.
- Bake pound cake for 1 hour 30 minutes to 1 hour 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the pound cake.
- Remove from the oven and allow the loaf to cool completely before removing from the loaf pan.
- For the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together orange juice, milk and vanilla. Begin whisking in powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, until all the sugar has been used and the glaze is thick and smooth. Fold in the zest until just combined.
- Pour the glaze over the pound cake and let it sit for about 20 minutes, to allow the glaze to harden. Slice and serve.
- Makes 1 (9 inch) loaf