The weather in LA has been so nice lately, super sunny and a lovely 65-75˚F. Not too hot and not too cold, it’s heaven. I’m not the type of person to drop carbs the second the weather gets warm, mostly because I’m not capable of dropping carbs, but I do like to lighten things up. In this case I’m using capellini and there isn’t a real sauce happening here. I love sauceless pastas that are still packed with flavor and this Castelvetrano Olive Lemon and Parmesan Capellini really hits the spot.
This Castelvetrano Olive Lemon and Parmesan Capellini dish is one of my favorites because I love the balance between the briny olives (this is my favorite brand, but feel free to use the brand of your choice) and the nutty, savory Parmesan. The lemon also adds a bright touch to the dish which I really like. This is such a simple and quick dish that it’s great for weeknights. I like making extras of this pasta because I love tossing it with some mixed greens or arugula along with some cherry tomatoes the following day, for a tasty pasta salad lunch the next day. If you’re into olives and pasta I think you’ll totally dig this dish! Enjoy! xx, Jenny
Castelvetrano Olive, Lemon + Parmesan Capellini
- 1 pound capellini pasta angel hair
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ¼ cups pitted and chopped Castelvetrano olives
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 4 ounces grated Parmesan
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 ounces shaved Parmesan cheese
- zest from 1 lemon
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Add the pasta, followed by a handful of salt and stir. Cook pasta until al dente, stirring frequently, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water, set aside until ready to use.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and melt butter and oil together.
- Add shallots and garlic and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Add olives and continue to sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Deglaze the pan with the lemon juice and pasta water and simmer until ⅔ of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the pasta and toss mixture together. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan and continue to toss together until well combined. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Top with freshly shaved Parmesan and finish with lemon zest. Serve.