Morning dishes that are really desserts in disguise are great and this Apple and Cardamom Croissant Bread Pudding with a Caramel Sauce is no exception! Bread pudding is already a pretty decadent dish but the croissant addition in ours, tossed together with the sweet apples, just takes it over the top. It also really maximizes the crispy edges and top, which in my opinion is the best part! This dish is great for weekend breakfasts and brunches, but is so versatile, tasty and easy to make that you can also serve it as a weeknight dessert..maybe even with a side of vanilla ice cream. Yum. So you’d basically be eating croissant bread pudding a la mode and there’s nothing wrong with that! Enjoy!xx, Jenny
Hungry for more?
Apple and Cardamom Croissant Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 (slightly stale) butter croissants, cut into 1” cubes
- 2 large gala apples, peeled and diced
- 1 ¼ cups light brown sugar, divided
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 3 large eggs
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, cooled and divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoons cardamom
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Brush baking dish with 1 tablespoon melted butter until well coated, set aside.
- For caramel sauce: Pour butter, sugars, water, and salt into a medium saucepan and stir together over medium heat.
- Allow mixture to boil for about 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently (the longer you boil this, the thicker your caramel sauce will be).
- Remove from heat and carefully stir in the heavy cream and vanilla (mixture will bubble up, be careful!) Set aside and cool until ready to use.
- For bread pudding: Place croissant cubes, apples and ½ cup sugar into a large mixing bowl, set aside.
- In another mixing bowl combine remaining sugar, milk, cream, eggs, remaining butter, vanilla extract, cardamom, and cinnamon and whisk together until light and fluffy.
- Pour egg mixture over croissant and apple mixture and toss together until well coated.
- Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish and allow mixture to sit for about 15 minutes.
- Bake bread pudding in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a knife comes out clean when inserted into the center and the top is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with 1 cup of caramel sauce. Allow bread pudding to cool, about 10 minutes.
- Serve with extra caramel sauce.
- *Makes 1 (9”x12”) dish