Happy Friday! We are excited to share with you this really yummy recipe for Simple Turkey Bolognese with Spaghetti and Zucchini Noodles. We love splitting the difference with the pasta and adding in Zucchini noodles. It definitely feeds our craving for pasta, but doesn’t give us huge food babies which is nice. I also love using turkey in this situation because it’s a nice alternative to beef, and with all the other flavors going on I don’t miss it.
Our shoot days are always super busy for the blog. We always try and shoot lots of recipes for you guys, and inevitably get hung up on the styling of a dish, or making sure the props feel perfect. We always dread the end of the day because cleanup can be a monster of a to do. We had never really considered what kind of cleaning products we purchased in the past, mostly buying brands our parents used. We have both made big strides in our life to try and become more conscious with the products we use and the waste we make, so it just made sense to switch to these Home Made Simple plant-based cleaning products, especially with Earth Day having just happened it felt like the perfect time.
We usually make a pretty good mess in the studio when we shoot, spills (so.many.spills), crumbs, splatters. Everything. I am happy to report that these plant-based products work really well. We were really impressed that they kept up with us! We love the Home Made Simple Multi-Purpose cleaner, and the rosemary scent smells really great. We also both love the fresh lemon scent of the Home Made Simple Dish Soap. :) These two products are both available in lemon, rosemary, and lavender scents, and you can find them at Walmart.
Grab the recipe for our Simple Turkey Bolognese with Spaghetti and Zucchini Noodles below!
Ingredients: 2 zucchini, cut into thin noodles (easiest using a peeler with ‘teeth’) Directions:
Simple Turkey Bolognese with Spaghetti and Zucchini Noodles
Serves 3 to 4
2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 large carrots, scrubbed and diced
1 pound ground turkey
1 tablespoon oregano, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 cup whole milk
1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste
5 ounces dry spaghetti
Freshly grated Parmesan for serving
1. Place a large skillet over medium heat. Once skillet is hot, add oil.
2. Add onion and garlic to skillet and saute for 4 to 5 minutes or until onions are barely translucent.
3. Add carrots and continue to saute for about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Add ground turkey to skillet and brown, 3 to 4 minutes, breaking turkey up with a wooden spoon.
5. Add oregano and tomato paste and stir into skillet and cook for an additional minute.
6. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in milk. Allow mixture to simmer together until slightly reduced, 6 to 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Add tomatoes and sugar into skillet and stir together. Break tomatoes up with a wooden spoon and continue to stir together.
8. Simmer Bolognese for 15 to 20 minutes or until thickened but still saucy. Adjust seasonings, cover and remove from heat. Set aside.
9. Fill a pot with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add a small handful of salt, followed by pasta, and boil until al dente, 6 to 8 minutes. With 1 minute left of cooking the pasta, add the thin cut zucchini to the pasta and stir together.
10. Drain pasta and zucchini and pour into a large pasta bowl or individual plates.
11. Top pasta and zucchini combo with bolognese and finish with more grated Parmesan. Serve.
2 zucchini, cut into thin noodles (easiest using a peeler with ‘teeth’)