We have to break out all the apple recipes we have going on for fall. So today we have these super cute Mini Apple Cornmeal Cakes and Chai Spiced Icing. We are still into chai spiced everything, but really chai spice goes so insanely well with apple. The filling of this cake is studded with little bits of apple. So the apple paired with the cornmeal texture is a pretty awesome pair. If you hate mini cakes you can make a bigger cake – you will just need to adjust your baking time. Hope you enjoy these little guys!
Mini Apple Cornmeal Cakes with Chai Spiced Icing
2 large tart and sweet apples, peeled, cored and finely diced
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
Juice 1/2 lemon
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup coarse ground cornmeal
2/3 cups superfine sugar (granulated is fine)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 1/3 cup buttermilk
1 large egg, beaten
1/3 cup honey
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
3 tablespoons heavy cream (more as needed)
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F.
2. Place apples, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and lemon juice in a mixing bowl and toss together. Set aside.
3. In another mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
4. Stir in butter, buttermilk, egg, and honey until completely incorporated and no lumps remain.
5. Lightly grease 12 mini loaf pans. Fill each pan until 1/2 full (about 1/2 cup).
6. Top each cake with 2 tablespoons of apple mixture and gently press into the batter (reserving 3/4 cup apple mixture for the end).
7. Transfer mini loaf pans onto a baking sheet, evenly spaced apart.
8. Bake cakes for 22 to 26 minutes or until golden brown around the edges and top.
9. Remove cakes from the oven and allow them to cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
10. Pop each cake out of the loaf pans and transfer to a cooling rack. Cool completely.
11. While cakes cool, make icing. Place all ingredients, except heavy cream, into a small mixing bowl and whisk together. Add cream and gently whisk together until fully incorporated and smooth. Mixture should be thin enough to drizzle.
12. Once cakes have cooled, drizzle icing over each cake and top with each with a tablespoon of the reserved apple mixture. Serve.