Happy Wednesday! I am excited to share this recipe with you because this pie is the perfect little comforting dessert for right now. It’s cold everywhere, I live under my heated blanket and all I want to drink are hot things. We used chai spice in this pie because we will never be over chai spice in desserts. Chai is just so good. The ruffles from this pie come from scrunching the filo dough together which is an easy thing to do, so you won’t mess up the look of this I promise. It’s one of those pies that is impressive looking but isn’t hard, which is my favorite kind of pie. :)
Ingredients: 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted 2/3 cup powdered sugar Directions:
Chai Spiced Ruffled Milk Pie
Makes 1 (9 inch) pie
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 cups finely chopped walnuts
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, divided
2 cups milk
2 large eggs plus 2 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
32 sheets filo dough, thawed
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F.
2. Lightly grease inside of 9 inch springform pan, then wrap foil and place onto a baking sheet. Set aside.
3. Place all chai spice ingredients into a small mixing bowl and whisk together.
4. Place 2 sheets filo onto a clean surface, overlapping one another. Brush the top sheet with butter and top with 2 more sheet of filo and brush with butter.
5. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts evenly over buttered filo followed by 1 tablespoon brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of chai spice.
6. Carefully scrunch together filo sheet from top to bottom, then tightly curl into a spiral.
7. Place stuffed and rolled filo into center of springform.
8. Repeat steps 4 to 6 with remaining ingredients, adding to the original spiral, with each ruffled log of filo until the springform is full.
9. Place pie in oven and bake for about 20 minutes.
10. While pie is baking, make custard base: Pour milk and vanilla into a saucepan and scald over medium-low heat.
11. In a mixing bowl combine remaining cup of brown sugar and eggs and whisk together.
12. Add 1/2 cup scalding milk to egg and sugar mixture and quickly whisk together to prevent scrambling. Whisk an additional 1/2 cup milk to mixture and whisk together.
13. Pour mixture back into saucepan with remaining milk and whisk together.
14. Cook mixture, constantly stirring, until just thick enough to barely coat the back of a wooden spoon. Stir in 1/2 tablespoon chai spice into milk mixture and remove from heat.
15. After 20 minutes remove pie from oven. Pour milk mixture evenly over pie and place back into oven for an additional 20 to 25 minutes or until custard sets and top of pie turns golden brown.
16. Remove from oven and cool for 10 to 15 minutes before unmolding from pan. Transfer to serving dish.
17. Combine powdered sugar with remaining chai spice and sift over ruffled pie. Serve.
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
2/3 cup powdered sugar