We both really love baked gnocchi, so we made a new recipe that is more like mac and cheese but with gnocchi. The sauce is super creamy, and the bacon almost puts this over the edge, but it doesn’t and it’s perfect! The bread crumb topping gives a nice little crunch to this dish. Pair this with a super simple salad you have yourself a pretty great dinner. :)
Ingredients: 1 pound potato gnocchi Directions:
Bacon and Leek Baked Gnocchi
Serves 5 to 7
1 cup plain Italian breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon minced thyme
1 tablespoon thinly sliced chives
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 rashers bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons minced shallot
2 leeks, trimmed, washed and thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups whole milk
2 ounces grated pecorino cheese, plus more for garnish
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375˚F.
2. Breadcrumb topping: Place all ingredients into a mixing bowl and set aside.
3. Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add a small handful of salt (about 3 tablespoons) and add the gnocchi.
4. Once the gnocchi float to the surface remove from the pot and transfer to a large platter. Set aside.
5. Place a skillet over medium heat and cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from the skillet, drain on paper towels and set aside with the cooked gnocchi.
6. Degrease skillet and melt butter over medium heat. Add shallots, leeks and garlic and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Add milk and simmer.
7. Once the mixture has reduced by 1/3 add cheese and stir. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Add the gnocchi mixture and continue to simmer over low heat for 1 minute. Transfer mixture to a shallow baking dish and top with prepared breadcrumb topping.
9. Bake dish for 12 to 15 minutes or until mixture has thickened and breadcrumbs have nicely browned.
10. Remove dish from the oven, cool for about 7 minutes and serve.
1 pound potato gnocchi