Fried crispy appetizers are my favorite. So I am totally in love with this new recipe we have which is Shrimp Taquitos with Creamy Chipotle Sauce. You could also make this more of a meal and serve with some rice and beans or a yummy salad. The shrimp stays juicy and the tortilla gets super crispy! You’re gonna wanna bookmark this one!
Ingredients: 12 jumbo shrimp (peeled and deveined with tails intact) lime wedges, garnish Directions:
Shrimp Taquitos with Creamy Chipotle Sauce
Makes 12 shrimp
pico de gallo:
3 vine ripe tomatoes (or 4 roma tomatoes), seeded and diced
4 tablespoons diced white onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 Serrano pepper, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons minced cilantro
juice of 1 lime
1 cup sour cream
2 chipotle peppers in adobe
1 garlic clove
juice 1/2 lime
12 mini (4-5 inch) corn tortillas, warmed and wrapped in a clean towel**
salt and pepper to taste
12 (6 inch) wooden skewers
oil for frying
1. Fill a pot with tall sides with 3 inches oil and preheat to 350˚F.
2. In a medium bowl combine all the pico de gallo ingredients, season with a pinch of salt and toss together. Set aside.
3. Place chipotle sauce ingredients into the well of a food processor and puree until smooth. Set aside.
4. For taquitos: Place shrimp in a large mixing bowl, season with salt and pepper and toss together.
5. Trim the bottom 1/4 inch of each tortilla, so they have a flat bottom.
6. Place a shrimp atop one side of a corn tortilla, with the tail sticking out of the bottom of the trimmed tortilla. Carefully roll shrimp in the tortilla and seal shut with a wooden skewer. Repeat until all shrimp have been rolled (make sure to keep the rolled taquitos under a warm, and very lightly damp towel to prevent them from cracking as you roll the remaining taquitos).
7. Once all taquitos have been rolled, carefully place into the hot oil, a few at a time, making sure not to crowd the pot.
8. Fry taquitos on each side for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown, crisp and shrimp has cooked through. Transfer to a plate covered with paper towels. Repeat until all taquitos have been fried. Season with salt.
9. Serve taquitos immediately with pico de gallo and chipotle sauce.
** It’s important that the tortillas are warmed and kept in a clean towel (to keep the steam in) before wrapping the shrimp because this will keep the tortilla pliable while you handle them and help to prevent them from cracking and tearing.
12 jumbo shrimp (peeled and deveined with tails intact)
lime wedges, garnish