We are obviously very into lasagna rollups as evidence here and here. We love them – but we all know you can’t just eat pasta every night and fit into your pants. So we made a zucchini version for all you people who, like us, want to eat pasta every damn day, but can’t. Off topic kinda, I really just want to eat the pasta everyday that they swirl in a giant parmesan wheel. Anyway, we also made these with turkey sausage and ground turkey – no beef here! This is one of those rare occasions where I don’t actually miss the pasta – because a lot of other flavors are going on. Hope you try it!
Zucchini Lasagna Roll Ups
Serves 3 or 4
2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage
1/2 pound lean ground turkey
1/2 small onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon minced basil
1 1/2 teaspoons minced oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons minced thyme
1 cup part skim ricotta
1 large egg white, beaten until frothy
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
salt and pepper to taste
4-5 large zucchini, trimmed
fresh basil leaves
1 recipe marinara sauce (or 3 cups marinara of choice)
1. Preheat oven to 375˚F.
2. For filling: Pour 1 1/2 tablespoons oil into a large skillet and place over medium-high heat. Add sausage and ground turkey and brown for 4 to 5 minutes, breaking up into small piece with a wooden spoon.
3. Strain meat from skillet and place into a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
4. Drain grease from skillet and place back over medium-high heat. Add remaining oil and sauté onion for 3 to 4 minute. Add garlic and herbs and continue to sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
5. Transfer mixture to bowl with the meat and allow mixture to cool, about 15 minutes.
6. Add remaining filling ingredients into the mixing bowl, season with salt and pepper and stir together until fully combined. (if mixture is too soft, refrigerate for 1 hour to firm up)
7. Using a potato peeler, peel thin, long strips from each zucchini, lengthwise.
8. To assemble: Pour and evenly spread 2 cups marinara sauce into the bottom of a 9”X12” baking dish. Stir 1/2 cup marinara sauce into the filling mixture.
9. Spread about 2 tablespoons of the filling mixture evenly over the top of one of the sliced zucchini sheets and tightly roll the zucchini into a tightly coil. Place filled and rolled zucchini into the baking dish, coil side up.
10. Repeat step 9 until all of the zucchini strips and filling have been used and the baking dish is filled.
11. Top dish with the remaining marinara sauce and a sprinkle of Parmesan and bake for about 20 minutes or until the dish is bubbling and the top has lightly browned. (Place entire dish under broiler for 1 minute if a crispier top is desired)
12. Top dish with another sprinkle of grated Parmesan and fresh basil leaves and serve.