Happy Friyay! Today we have a little something for you and the weekend. These Baked Polenta Chips with Caprese Topped Mozzarella Dip. The polenta chips are better for you than scarfing down handfuls of real chips, so thats a plus. But don’t worry because we leveled all the calorie savings capabilities of the polenta chips and make a mozzarella dip to go with it. Please enjoy with wine and pajamas. :)
Baked Polenta Chips with Caprese Topped Mozzarella Dip
Serves 3 to 5
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 cup whole milk
2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup shredded fontina cheese
salt to taste
blistered cherry tomatoes, optional
fried basil leaves, optional
4 cups water
1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup dry polenta
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. For white queso dip: Melt butter in a small saucepan, over medium heat. Add flour and whisk together for 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Whisk milk into the roux and continue to whisk together until the mixture is smooth. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, 3 to 4 minutes. Lightly season with salt.
3. Remove from heat and stir in both shredded cheeses, a small handful at a time, waiting until the cheese melts before adding more.
4. Continue to add cheese until all has been added and dip is smooth. Adjust seasonings. Set aside and keep warm (stirring 1 tablespoon hot milk, at a time, if dip gets too thick). When ready to serve, top with tomatoes and fried basil.
5. For baked polenta chips: Pour water, oil and salt and a pot and place over high heat. Bring mixture to a boil and whisk in polenta.
6. Lower heat to medium and simmer, whisking often, for 20 to 25 minutes.
7. Stir in Parmesan and whisk until thick, smooth and creamy.
8. Pour mixture onto a lightly greased baking sheet and using an offset spatula, spread mixture into a very thin and even layer.
9. Place baking sheet into the refrigerator and allow mixture to chill completely, about 2 hours.
10. Once polenta has chilled, Preheat oven to 350˚F. Carefully slice polenta sheet into even, bite-sized triangles and transfer onto another baking sheet lined with a silpat or parchment paper, 1/4 inch apart.
11. Bake chips for 20 to 25 minutes or until crisp and barely golden brown.
12. Remove from heat, sprinkle with additional salt and allow chips to cool completely.
13. Serve with warm mozzarella cheese dip.