So my husband and I are leaving for our honeymoon this Friday and we’re super excited! We got married last September, but decided to hold off on the honeymoon, mostly because the thought of planning a honeymoon while planning the wedding made me want to stab myself, so I started planning our honeymoon about a month after the wedding, lol. Anyway, we’re going to a couple places in both Croatia and Italy and we just can’t wait!
We’ve both been trying to be good about eating better before our trip and this Strawberry Caprese Panzanella Salad is something we’ve eaten a few times in the last month. I know it’s loaded with carbs, but this girl can’t kick her carbs, nope, nope, nope; plus the vinaigrette is on the lighter side and this dish overall is pretty light, but still filling enough. We’ve been throwing some grilled chicken onto the top too, to really round the meal out.
This is a perfect spring and summer salad, it’s super fresh and also holds pretty well for things like picnics. Enjoy! xx, Jenny
Ingredients: 12 strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced Directions:
Strawberry Caprese Panzanella Salad
Serves 3 to 4
1 French baguette, cubed
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
8 ounces ciligine, drained
1 cup cooked orzo
1 Persian cucumber, thinly sliced
1/2 shallot, finely diced
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/3 cup good quality balsamic vinegar
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
micro greens or pea shoots
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Place crouton ingredients into a large mixing bowl and gently toss together.
3. Drizzle oil over bread mixture and season with salt and pepper. Toss together until fully combined.
4. Pour mixture onto a baking sheet, in single layer (you may need two baking sheets) and bake for about 20 minutes, stirring every 5 to 7 minutes, or until crisp and golden brown. (It’s okay if the croutons are still slightly soft when you pull them from the oven, they’ll crisp up eve more once cooled).
5. Set aside and allow croutons to cool completely.
6. In a large mixing bowl combine croutons, mozzarella, strawberries, orzo, and cucumber and toss together. Set aside.
7. For the vinaigrette: Place shallot, garlic, brown sugar, and balsamic in a small bowl and whisk together. While whisking add oil, in a slow and steady drizzle, until fully incorporated. Season with salt and pepper.
8. About 30 minutes before you’re ready to serve, pour vinaigrette over salad and toss together until well coated.
9. Place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
12 strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced