Hi! Happy Weekend! I am really pumped on this new recipe we have which is this delicious Ham and Cheese Slab Pie, aka a giant pop tart, aka a savory hand pie made for giants. We stuck with some traditional flavors here and used some cheese and ham, but boosted the flavor with with some mustard and herb laced caramelized onions. But honestly what I love about this recipe is that is versatile. Cut it into some cubes for a really yummy appetizer, or larger slices for a cute dinner paired with a salad. It’s also just really fun to make giant slab pies like this. Enjoy!
Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and rolled out to 1/4 inch thickness Directions:
Ham and Cheese Slab Pie
Makes 1 (9” x 13”) pie
ham and cheese filling:
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
6 ounces thinly sliced ham OR thicker cut ham steak
1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
4 ounces shredded white cheddar
4 ounces shredded Swiss
2 teaspoons minced thyme
2 teaspoons thinly sliced chive
salt and cracked black pepper to taste
1 egg, beaten
1. For filling: Place butter into a skillet and place over medium heat. Once butter has melted add onion and lightly caramelize, 6 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add mustard and continue to sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Pour mixture into a mixing bowl and slightly cool. Fold in the thyme and chives.
2. Preheat oven to 400˚F.
3. Place one puff pastry sheet onto a parchment lined baking sheet and top with half of the shredded cheese. Spread mixture evenly over the surface, leaving a 1/2 inch border.
4. Lay ham over the shredded cheese in layers, if using thick cut ham steak, create one layer.
5. Pour the cooled onion mixture over the ham and spread evenly over the surface, followed by the remaining shredded cheese.
6. Egg wash edge of the dough and place other dough slab over the ham and cheese mixture and seal edges together with the back of a fork.
7. Score the surface of the slab pie a few times and brush with egg wash.
8. Place in oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown on top and bubbling on the inside.
9. Remove from the oven and cool about 10 minutes. Cut and serve.
2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and rolled out to 1/4 inch thickness