This Mixed Citrus, Gem Lettuce and Pearled Couscous Salad has been my go to, quick and easy meal for the last few weeks. It’s so easy to put together and really tasty. I love that the vinaigrette has some body to it, but doesn’t taste heavy, just pleasantly light, sweet and tart.
I’ve paired this salad with these garlic roast chicken thighs and these garlic and anchovy roasted lamb chops and both make great meals PLUS leftovers! You can also add some grilled salmon or shrimp to the salad for a lighter, complete meal. Tis the season for winter citrus and I think everyone should take advantage of all the fresh, sweet and ripe citrus, starting with this simple and delicious salad! Enjoy! xx, Jenny
Ingredients: 4 heads gem lettuce, leaves separated Directions:
Mixed Citrus, Gem Lettuce and Couscous Salad
(with a Blood Orange, Poppy Seed and Champagne Vinaigrette)
Serves 3 to 4 + Vinaigrette Makes 2 1/4 cups
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup blood orange juice (about 1 1/2 blood oranges)
1/4 cup champagne vinegar
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoon minced shallot
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
salt and pepper to taste
1 ruby red grapefruit
1 blood orange
1 cup cooked and cooled pearled couscous
shaved Parmesan cheese
fresh mint leaves
cracked black pepper
1. For vinaigrette: Place all ingredients, except the oil and poppy seeds, into the well of a blender and blend until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
2. With the motor running, remove cap of the blender lid and slowly drizzle oil into the mixture until completely incorporated and vinaigrette is smooth.
3. Pour vinaigrette into a large bowl and stir in poppy seeds. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
4. For citrus: Slice top and bottom of the grapefruit off and lay onto one of the cut sides. Carefully slice peel off sides of grapefruit. Turn grapefruit onto its side and slice into 1/2 inch slices. Repeat with remaining citrus.
5. To assemble: Spread lettuce leaves and citrus rounds onto a large platter. Sprinkle salad with couscous, drizzle with vinaigrette and top with shaved Parmesan. Finish with cracked black pepper and serve.
4 heads gem lettuce, leaves separated