Hi! Ok, I had to repost this recipe because its delicious and it’s actually vegan (the sauce, ok obvi not the pancetta) It’s such a great way to indulge in pasta and not go crazy. AND like we mentioned in the below post, it’s such a great sauce for lots of things, like chicken and fish too. Make it please!
We’re continuing our fall cooking today with this super easy Linguine with Butternut Squash Vegan “Cream” Sauce! Even though we’re ready for fall and fall cooking, like I mentioned yesterday, Los Angeles just doesn’t want to give in and let go of summer….soooo we’re jumping into fall foods ourselves, but taking a slightly lighter approach. Today’s cream sauce is completely vegan, but still extra creamy and delicious. We’ve added raw cashews to help with the “creamy” aspect of the sauce along with a little dose of Earth Balance (vegan buttery spread).
It’s nice to eat something a little bit more hearty, that won’t necessarily weigh you down like crazy. I also really like pouring this sauce over roasted fish and chicken. So good! And yes, yes, yes we topped our vegan pasta sauce with crispy pancetta and cheese…why?! Because we personally are not ACTUALLY vegans and couldn’t really help ourselves! ha! But seriously, I love this dish, especially this sauce and think you should make it and then pour it on everything this season ans always. Enjoy! xx, Jenny
Linguine with Butternut Squash Vegan “Cream” Sauce
12 ounces linguine
butternut vegan “cream” sauce:
3 tablespoons coconut oil
1 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon minced sage
2 1/2 cups hot vegetable stock
1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for an hour and drained
3 tablespoons vegan butter spread (such as Earth Balance)
salt and pepper to taste
optional non vegan garnishes:
1. Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add a small handful of salt and pasta and stir. Stir pasta occasionally and cook until al dente, about 6 to 8 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta water. Toss pasta with 2 teaspoons of oil and set aside.
2. Pour oil into a large saucepan and place over medium-high heat. Add squash and onion and sauté for 6 to 7 minutes. Add garlic, sage, season with salt and pepper and continue to sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Pour stock into the mixture and lower the heat to medium. Simmer until squash is fork tender, about 7 to 9 minutes.
4. Pour mixture into a blender and puree until smooth (make sure the center top lid has been removed and covered with a kitchen towel to prevent the hot mixture from exploding). If the mixture is too thick, add the reserved pasta water, as needed, until desired consistency is achieved.
5. With the motor running, remove the kitchen towel from the opening in the lid and add the cashews and buttery spread. Continue to blend until fully incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Adjust seasonings.
6. Place pasta into a large mixing bowl and top with sauce. Toss together. Garnish, if using, and serve immediately.