Happy Sunday! I am happy to share with you this scone recipe I have been eating for many mornings. It’s so nice to be able to make a batch of scones or muffins and be able to grab one while running out the door in the morning. These apple and cheddar scones are a new favorite. They have yummy chunks of sweet apple paired with the sharpness of cheese making these scones great for those indecisive about having a savory or sweet breakfast. I also love the sliced apple and thyme on top, it makes these scones look a lot more impressive than they actually are (in effort!). Enjoy guys!
Also, if you have not yet bought our book you really should.
AMAZON | BARNES & NOBLE | INDIE BOUND | GOOGLE BOOKS | iBOOKS
We are so proud of it! You can also pre order signed copies from Omnivore Books! ☺
Apple & Cheddar Scones
Makes 6 large scones
2 cup all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1 apple, peeled cored and diced
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
½ cup buttermilk
6 thinly sliced apple wheels
fresh minced thyme
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. In a large bowl sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. Cut cold cubes of butter into the flour mixture until the butter is completely incorporated and the mixture has obtained a mealy texture.
4. Add the cheese, apple and black pepper and mix together until well combined.
5. Fold in the buttermilk and mix together until just combined and the mixture has formed into dough.
6. Form the dough into a 1 1/2 inch thick rectangle and cut into 6 squares.
7. Top each scone with an apple wheel and gently press into scone. Place scones onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until the scones puff up and the tops just start to brown.
9. Remove from oven and gently brush apple wheels with warm honey and sprinkle with thyme. Allow scones to cool, about 10 minutes. Serve.