It took me a long time to get on board with pavlova. I think it’s because I grew up with meringue cookies so when it came to pavlova, I wasn’t used to the slightly creamy center. These days I love a good pavlova. I love how simple and classic this dessert is with a ton of variations. I usually like to keep things pretty simple with my pavlovas so today we have a simple, but yummy Strawberry and Peach Topped Pavlova that is perfectly crisp on the outside and sweet and luscious on the inside. I’m trying to take advantage of all the super ripe stone fruit that’s currently in abundance, before they start to disappear. Plus this is the perfect Labor Day dessert! Enjoy! xx, Jenny
Ingredients: 1 cup heavy cream Directions:
Strawberry + Peach Topped Pavlova
Makes 1 (12”)
4 large egg whites, room temperature
1 cup superfine sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon distilled vinegar
1/2 cup superfine sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
12 strawberries, halved
2 yellow peaches, diced
mint leaves, optional
1. Preheat oven to 250˚F.
2. Pour egg whites into the well of a stand mixer, fitted with a whisk attachment and beat on high until stiff peaks form.
3. With the motor running add 3/4 cup of the sugar, one tablespoon at a time, until fully incorporated.
4. Combine salt, cornstarch and vinegar in a small bowl and whisk together.
5. Pour mixture into the beaten egg whites, along with the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and continue to beat together until mixture becomes fluffy, glossy and stiff peaks form.
6. Spoon mixture onto a parchment lined baking sheet, into a 4”x 9” rectangle with a slight indent in the center.
7. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, then turn the oven off, open the door a crack, and allow the pavlova to sit in the oven for an additional hour.
8. Remove the pavlova from the oven and transfer onto a serving platter/cake stand.
9. In a mixing bowl beat together the cream, sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form.
10. In another mixing bowl toss together strawberries and peaches.
11. Spoon soft whipped cream onto the pavlova and top with mixed fruit.
12. Finish pavlova with fresh mint leaves and serve.
1 cup heavy cream