Hi guys! We are reposting this leafy grain salad today because these kinds of salads are my new favorite thing to eat for lunch or dinner. It’s so easy to make all the components ahead of time and then throw them together into a bowl and have a super satisfying meal. I love adding shredded chicken to this, or even cut up sandwich meat :) Last week we posted my soup crush of the season and today is my grain salad crush of the season, this roasted sweet potato and quinoa salad. I love roasted vegetables, especially root vegetables and I’ve been particularly keen on sweet potatoes this last month. I love how hearty, sweet and creamy they are when roasted and simply seasoned with salt and pepper.
Grain salads in general are my favorite “big batch meals”. I love cooking up a big batch of quinoa at the beginning of the week, and throwing some into a bowl everyday with other things I happen to have lying around the pantry and fridge, each salad being a little different everyday. In today’s addition, we have a quinoa salad filled with cubed and roasted sweet potatoes, crumbled goat cheese, caramelized red onions, fresh thyme, and a handful of mixed greens.
We mixed ours up with a simple anchovy vinaigrette, because we love the briny flavor, but you can use whatever vinaigrette or dressing you like; I also l like tossing everything together with a simple spicy mustard and white wine vinegar vinaigrette, for it’s tartness.
This is one of my favorite things to eat at the moment and I love how easy and suitable it is as an “on the go” type of meal. If you do take this meal to-go, wait until you’re ready to dig in to toss the vinaigrette into the salad, to keep everything light and fresh, and you have yourself a great school or work lunch or dinner! Enjoy! xx, Jenny
Roasted Sweet Potato and Quinoa Salad
Serves 5 to 7
1 large sweet potato, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 cups cooked red quinoa
1/2 medium red onion, lightly caramelized
1 tablespoon minced thyme
4 ounces crumbled goat cheese
4 cups mixed greens
zest 1 orange
1/4 cup toasted pepitas, optional
salt and pepper to taste
1 anchovy fillet, minced
1 tablespoon minced shallot
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons whole grain mustard
1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
1/3 to 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 375˚F.
2. Place all vinaigrette ingredients, except oil into a mixing bowl and whisk together. Slow whisk in oil until completely incorporated. Set aside.
3. Place sweet potato, garlic and oil in a mixing bowl and toss together. Generously season with salt and pepper.
4. Roast sweet potatoes in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes, stirring around every 15 minutes, until fork tender.
5. Remove roasted potatoes from the oven and cool for about 30 minutes.
6. Pour quinoa and sweet potatoes into a large mixing bowl. Add onions, thyme, goat cheese, and vinaigrette. Toss together until well mixed. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
7. Add mixed greens and vinaigrette and toss together. Serve immediately.
**If not serving immediately, wait until just before serving to dress salad with vinaigrette and to add mixed greens.