We’re just a few, short weeks away from Labor Day and my dude and I already thinking about our menu. We’re definitely planning on throwing a few things on the grill, but this year I’m most excited for dessert! We’re planning on making this extra creamy and totally delicious, Blueberry + Coconut Tart! I like this recipe because you can make it a couple days ahead of time, which I totally plan on doing, then on the day of the event all you need to do is garnish it and you’re set!
Today we’re garnishing our tart with little meringue cookies (that you can usually find premade at the supermarket) and Sahale Snacks, specifically the Berry Macaroon Almond Mix variety! These Sahale Snacks are sort of my little secret for when I need a unique garnish idea for my desserts, aside from typical sprinkles. Each Sahale Snack is jam packed with unique flavor and texture combinations and they really have something for everyone in their broad collection!
Since we made a Blueberry + Coconut Tart today, we decided to use their Berry Macaroon Almond Mix! I love the crunchy texture provided by the almonds and the little bits of lemon infused apple add a subtle but refreshing tart finish to the overall dessert. Not only are the Sahale Snacks flavor packed, but they’re also really beautiful, making them the perfect garnish for desserts as well as salads!
If you’re looking for a Labor Day worthy dessert, we think you should make this crowd-pleasing Blueberry + Coconut Tart! Enjoy!
Ingredients: 1. For crust: Preheat oven to 350˚F. In a mixing bowl whisk together graham cracker crumbs and sugar. Add melted butter and stir together until completely combined and no dry spots remain. Pour mixture into a 9”, fluted tart shell (with a removable bottom) and press evenly into the sides and bottom of the shell. Bake tart crust for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to allow crust to cool completely.
Blueberry + Coconut Tart
Makes 1 (9”) tart
3 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons sugar
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup whole milk
1 cup canned coconut milk
1 cup sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large egg yolks, beaten
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract or caviar from 1/2 vanilla bean
2 pints fresh blueberries, pureed, strained and chilled
1 1/2 cups whipping cream, whipped to stiff peaks
multi-sized meringue cookies, optional
Sahale Snacks: Berry Macaroon Almond Mix, lightly chopped
2. For filling: Place milk, sugar, cornstarch, and salt into a saucepan and place over medium heat.
3. Whisk mixture until smooth and bring to a simmer.
4. Cook mixture, while constantly stirring, until thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon and thick enough to sit on itself for a second.
5. Lower heat to medium low and whisk 1 cup of the hot milk mixture into the yolks in a slow and steady drizzle, making sure not to scrabble the yolks.
6. Pour tempered yolk mixture back into the pot and whisk together.
7. Cook the mixture for 2 to 3 more minutes, while stirring, before remove from the heat and stirring in the butter and vanilla. Stir until smooth.
8. Pour the pudding into a large bowl and place into an ice bath, stirring occasionally, until room temperature, about 30 minutes.
9. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
10. Stir the chilled blueberry puree into the pudding mixture until completely incorporated and fold in the whipped cream until light and fluffy.
11. Pour mixture into the prepared tart shell and smooth the surface. Refrigerate until tart has set, about 6 hours.
12. Remove from refrigerator and top with meringue cookies and chopped Sahale Snacks: Berry Macaroon Almond Mix.
13. Slice and serve.
1. For crust: Preheat oven to 350˚F. In a mixing bowl whisk together graham cracker crumbs and sugar. Add melted butter and stir together until completely combined and no dry spots remain. Pour mixture into a 9”, fluted tart shell (with a removable bottom) and press evenly into the sides and bottom of the shell. Bake tart crust for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to allow crust to cool completely.