I had a salad very similar to this one while up in Oakland visiting my sister, brother in law and nephew. Sometimes I forget how awesome non-leafy salads can be until I have a dish like this and am reminded about the endless salad possibilities. I love roasted root vegetables and the combination of them with this creamy honey-mustard vinaigrette is just so good. The watercress is a nice addition to lighten things up and the cranberries add a really nice pop of flavor and texture. The original dish I had out was served with seared duck breast (which I love!), but since I eat chicken way more often I opted to have the homemade version made with airline chicken breasts. This is a great weeknight meal to enjoy and they make really great leftovers for a quick and easy work lunch the next day! Enjoy! xx, Jenny
Roasted Root Vegetable Salad and Chicken with a Creamy Honey-Mustard Vinaigrette
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
2 airline chicken breasts (skin-on)
1 white sweet potato, peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes
1 large turnip, peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 bunch watercress
salt and pepper to taste
creamy honey-mustard vinaigrette:
2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 375˚F.
2. Pour 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil into a large skillet and place over medium-high heat.
3. Generously season chicken breasts and sear, skin side down, for about 4 minutes. Flip and continue to sear for an additional 3 minutes. Transfer breasts onto one side of a baking sheet (skin side up). Set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl combine sweet potato, turnip, oil, salt and pepper and toss together until well coated. Pour onto the other side of the baking sheet (opposite the chicken) and roast for about 20 minutes.
5. Transfer chicken breasts onto a cutting board and continue roasting the vegetables.
6. Roast until vegetables are tender, an additional 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Top with cranberries and watercress (watercress should wilt a little from the heat of the vegetables).
7. For the vinaigrette: Place all ingredients, except oil, into a mixing bowl and whisk together. In a slow and steady stream whisk oil into the remaining ingredients until emulsified. Adjust seasonings.
8. To assemble: Pour vinaigrette over the vegetables and toss together. Slice chicken breasts, place atop salad and serve.