Today’s recipe is from our cookbook, The Perfect Egg, released Spring of this year. It’s one of my favorite recipes in the book because it’s so simple and yields amazing results! I love how fragrant the grapefruit zest and juice makes this dessert, but my favorite part is actually that this pound cake forms a very thin, but very delicious crispy crust around the edge with a super soft and moist center. It’s great to nibble on in the morning with a hot cup of coffee or tea, but it’s also great just to snack on all day.
With the holiday season here, this pound cake would also make a really great edible gift, especially a hostess gift if you guys are attending any holiday parties! You can bake them in those cute disposable baking pans or you can wrap them up in parchment paper with some ribbon for a festive and tasty treat. Enjoy! xx, Jenny
Grapefruit-Poppy Seed Pound Cake (From: The Perfect Egg cookbook)
Makes 1 (5”x9”) loaf
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups superfine sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 yolks, lightly beaten
1 cup Greek yogurt
Zest and juice of 1 medium grapefruit (about 1/2 cup juice)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
2. Line a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
3. Whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl.
4. In a second bowl, cream the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and yolk, stirring well. Stir in the yogurt until fully incorporated.
5. Fold in the flour mixture until fully incorporated. Stir in the grapefruit zest and juice, vanilla, and poppy seeds just until combined.
6. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center, 90 to 105 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven and let cool completely in the pan, about 1 hour, before slicing and serving.