We haven’t posted a cookie recipe on here for a long time. We finally have this Lemon Poppy Seed Cookie recipe up because it’s my new favorite. It’s not too sweet, and it’s really chewy, and really light. This isn’t a I’m emotionally destroyed I just broke up with my boyfriend and I’m eating cookies and ice cream on the couch watching Sex and The City kind of cookie, this is more like a I’m gonna drink some tea, and eat a cookie, cause I’m the boss of me kind of cookie. I would describe this cookie as an adult cookie. It has the perfect amount of everything you want in a cookie, and it’s not overly decadent, or crazy loaded with chocolate or pretzels or whatever. This is, simply put, a really GD good cookie. So go be boss and make yourself some cookies and eat them because you can.
Lemon-Poppy Seed Cookies
2 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup pure cane sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar
3 tablespoons honey
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F.
2. In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, cream together butter, sugars and honey.
4. Add egg and vanilla and continue to beat together. Scrape down sides of the bowl and fold in lemon zest and poppy seeds until well combined.
5.Stir flour mixture into the butter mixture and whip until fully incorporated.
6. Form cookie dough into a flat disc, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and for up to 3 days.
7. Uncover and scoop tablespoon sized balls of cookie dough. Place balls of dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet, about 1 inch apart.
8. Bake cookies for 12 minutes or until the edges brown slightly, but the tops remain pale.
9. Remove cookies from the oven and allow them to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
10. Allow cookies to cool for another 5-10 minutes. Serve.
11. Cookies will keep in an airtight container for up to a week.