Today we have one of my favorite kind of biscuits. That would be biscuits with cheese, and with cornmeal. I love love love the texture that cornmeal gives biscuits. It’s not as dense as cornbread, but you still get that nice crispy outer layer. This is another recipe we made with Almond Breeze. The almond milk in this recipe makes them a little lighter than they would be otherwise. We also added Havarti which is so creamy and flavorful, and some green onions. These are so easy to throw together, and such a really nice addition to dinner. Or for snacking, just be careful, they are easily inhale-able.
Havarti and Green Onion Cornmeal Biscuits
Makes 16 to 18
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup medium grind cornmeal
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, frozen and shredded
4 ounces Havarti, cheese shredded
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 cup unsweetened Almond Breeze almond milk
1. Preheat oven to 400˚F.
2. Place flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and pepper into a mixing bowl and whisk together.
3. Cut in grated butter until just incorporated and a fine meal forms.
4. Fold in the Havarti and green onions and gently stir in the almond milk until no dry spots remain.
5. Drop 1/4 cup sized scoops onto a baking sheet lined with parchment and bake for 18-20 minutes or until biscuits have lightly browned on top and have cooked through.
6. Allow biscuits to cool for 7 to 10 minutes before serving.