This is one of my favorite doughnut situations we have ever posted. I am very excited about it because it is what I have always wanted in an apple fritter. Let me start off first by saying that apple fritters are one of my favorite things to get at the doughnut shop. I especially flip over them if they have just been made and are still warm. There are a few things that I really don’t like about some places that make them. First is too much cinnamon. Apple Fritters are not cinnamon rolls, so chill on the cinnamon please. Some places are super stingy on their apple filling. It’s shocking because it most likely came from the can, like the weird apple and cherry pie filling you can get at the market. So why be stingy with it? Fill it up! I want it in every nook and cranny! That is what makes these Apple Fritter Rings perfect. The apple the dough ratio is pretty much set, so you know you’re going to get warm apple in every bite. Awesome. We took a chill pill when it came to cinnamon, I think this is important. We made our glaze with real vanilla beans, so it tastes like magic. We also made these Apple Fritter Rings with Sweet Tango apples.
Sweet Tangos are a hybrid of Honeycrisps and Zestars. It’s the lovechild of two amazing apples, so you know it has to be good. They are only available a couple of months in the fall so go out and get some right this second! These apples are so crispy and snappy, and perfect to cook with or just eat straight up. A quick note to let you know that Sweet Tango has a contest right now for a trip for two to LA to have dinner at Animal. We love eating at Animal, and always recommend it when people ask us where to eat in LA. Stay warm and enjoy these Apple Fritter Rings!
Apple Ring Fritters
Serves 8 to 12
3 Sweet Tango apples, cut into 1/4 inch rings and cored
juice of 1 lemon
1 1/2 cups cake flour, divded
2 tablespoons superfine sugar (granulated is fine)
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup whole milk
1/4 cup all natural (no sugar added) applesauce
3 tablespoons melted butter, cooled
vanilla bean glaze:
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup whole milk
2 teaspoons light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
caviar from 1 vanilla bean
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons hot water
peanut oil for frying
1. Preheat oil to 350˚F.
2. Toss together apple slices and lemon juice in a large bowl. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl whisk together 1 cup flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Add egg, milk, applesauce, and butter and whisk together.
4. Toss apple rings into remaining flour until full coated. Dip each apple ring into batter, shaking off any excess before carefully dropping into oil.
5. Fry fritters for 3 to 4 minutes. Flip and continue to fry for an additional 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from oil, drain onto paper towels and allow fritters to cool.
6. For glaze: Place all ingredients into a small bowl and stir together with a fork until fully incorporated and no lumps remain.
7. To assemble: Once fritters have cooled, fully dip each into the glaze, shake off any excess icing and set onto a cooling rack or parchment paper until glaze dries. Serve.
* This post was sponsored by Sweet Tango. All of our opinions are our own. Posts like these help us keep Spoon Fork Bacon going! Thank you for supporting our sponsors. *
Oh! And P.S. We are working on that print button guys! It is getting fixed and we are aware of the problem. Thank you SO MUCH for bearing with us! :)