I’m going through this thing where my old cat (he’s 16) is dying. He has one of those diseases that can’t be cured and you just gotta keep him comfortable and happy. It started to get real when I was ordered to give him fluids by sticking a needle in his neck tuft. Then I did the stupid thing of googling his condition and reading a ton of horrible stuff. I think googling health conditions should be illegal. It just never ever ends well. Ever. The reason why I am telling you all this depressing stuff is because when I think about him passing on and how sad and depressed I am going to be when that finally happens, I remember the positive stuff going on which is all you guys. Reading our blog all the time and being all positive and leaving nice comments. I can’t tell you how appreciative we are that you guys exist in our little corner of the internet. We LOVE YOU! It really is amazing and it drives us to keep the recipes coming. So thank you. We made this cute tart for you to make to celebrate life with. It’s a Red Apricot and Sweet Cherry Tart with a Cashew Frangipane. We invite you to welcome in autumn and say bye bye to summer with this tart. This dessert is sweet and tart from the fruit, with a rich and nutty baked cashew custard surrounded by a shortbread crust, i.e. heaven. Enjoy!
Be sure to watch our little stop motion video. It’s cute!
Red Apricot and Sweet Cherry Tart with a Cashew Frangipane
Makes 1 (10 inch) tart
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons superfine sugar (granulated is fine)
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
1 1/2 cups dry roasted cashews, finely ground (food processor works best)
3/4 cup superfine sugar (granulated is fine)
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
10-12 red apricots pitted and cut into wedges (6 per apricot)
25-30 sweet cherries, pitted and quartered
1. Preheat oven to 375˚F.
2. For shortbread crust: In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, sugar and salt. Place all ingredients into a food processor and pulse until dough forms. Evenly press dough into the bottom and sides of a 10” tart shell. Refrigerate for 30 minutes (while you make frangipane).
3. For cashew frangipane: Whisk together ground cashews, sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Add butter and eggs and whisk together until fully incorporated.
4. To assemble: Pour cashew frangipane into tart shell and spread evenly. Arrange apricots around edge until a border is created. Use remaining apricot wedges to create a smaller circle of apricots inside the border. Arrange cherries decoratively between apricot wedges, using remaining pieces of cherries for the center of the tart.
5. Place tart onto a baking sheet and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until frangipane has puffed and is golden brown (a toothpick should come out clean when inserted into the center of the frangipane).
6. Remove from oven and allow tart to cool for at least 1 hour before removing from tart mold, slicing and serving.