Jalapeno and Cheddar Cornmeal Biscuits
Makes 10 to 12
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon superfine sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 large jalapeno, seeded and diced
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 400˚F.
2. Place flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt, and pepper into a large mixing bowl and whisk together.
3. Cut in butter with a pastry knife or using your fingers until a fine grainy texture forms.
4. Fold in cheddar, jalapeno and buttermilk until a dough forms.
5. Scoop 1/4 cup sized balls of dough and drop onto a parchment lined baking sheet, about 1 inch apart.
6. Bake biscuits for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and brush tops with melted butter. Place back into oven and bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Once cool enough to handle, serve.