Blueberry Cardamom Crumb Cake
Makes 1 (8”x8”)
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/3cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
4 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small cubes
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, unsalted
3/4 cup superfine sugar (granulated is fine)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup sour cream
2/3 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups fresh blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 375˚F. Lightly grease a 8”x 8” baking dish with butter and set aside.
2. For streusel: In a small mixing bowl combine all dry ingredients and toss together. Cut in cold butter and crumble together using the back of two forks or your fingers until a fine mealy texture forms. Set in refrigerator until ready to use.
3. In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and cardamom. Set aside.
4. In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together butter and sugar.
5. Add egg and continue to beat. Scrape down sides of bowl and add sour cream and buttermilk and beat together until fully incorporated.
6. Stir flour mixture into wet mixture and beat until just combined. Stir in vanilla extract and fold in blueberries.
7. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish and set aside.
8. Sprinkle chilled streusel over top of cake and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the crumb cake.
9. Allow to cool before cutting and serving.