Watermelon Feta & Crispy Pork Belly Salad
Serves 3 to 4
crispy pork belly:
1 lb pork belly
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dry mustard
½ teaspoon dry ginger
½ teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
vegetable oil for frying
3 cups watermelon, cubed
2/3 cup feta, crumbled
1/3 cup pickled watermelon rind, diced (optional)
black pepper to taste
1 recipe champagne vinaigrette
1. Place pork belly in a large pot and fill with water. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Boil for 45 minutes.
2. Drain and rinse pork belly and pat dry with a paper towel.
3. Place the remaining pork belly ingredients into a small bowl and mix together. Rub spice mix over the flash of the pork belly, leaving the skin bare.
4. Place pork belly in a small container and place in the refrigerator for 8 to 12 hours, uncovered.
5. Fill a wok or Dutch oven with oil about 1 ½ inches high (a lid or splatter pan will be very helpful). Once the oil has reached 350°F carefully add pork belly, skin-side down.
6. Fry pork for about 5 to 7 minutes or until browned and crispy. Turn the pork belly over and fry for an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
7. Place onto a cooling rack lined baking sheet and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
8. Cut pork belly into ½- 1 inch cubes and set aside.
9. To assemble: Place watermelon, pork belly, feta, and watermelon rind (if using) in a large bowl. Top with vinaigrette and gently toss together. Season with black pepper. Top with mint leaves and micro greens and serve.