Hi All! So juice cleanse is finally over and today is the first day I can introduce real protein, like fish, back into me diet. Today is a happy day, yay! Okay, so while on the juice cleanse weird things started happening and I’m not sure if this is normal or not:
Did any of this happen to anyone?! #4 on the list specifically happened while shooting this recipe. While it was baking it smelled exactly like McDonald’s apple pies! You know the smell; a mix of fried sweet pies, salty french fries and fryer oil all rolled into one. (I’ve made this in the past, but can’t remember if it smelled like this to me before) Teri agreed, totally McDonald’s apple pies..but then again, she was also on the “juice” at the time so we could’ve both been going insane, who knows.
Anyway, once I’m done with this post-cleanse nonsense I’m going to make a big batch of these, along with this cardamom whipped cream (so good!) and eat it all. I probably won’t feel bad about it either , oh well. :) It’s a really simple recipe that’s great to make for a get together…maybe even as dessert for Easter brunch or dinner, just a though :) Enjoy!
Baked Apple Pie Egg Rolls
apple pie filling:
2 green apples (abut 2 heaping cups), peeled and diced
1 lemon, juiced
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3 1/2 tablespoons instant tapioca pearls
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground all-spice
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
16 egg roll wrappers
sweetened cardamom whipped cream:
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup superfine sugar (granulated is fine)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Place filling ingredients into a mixing bowl and stir together until well combined. Allow mixture to sit for about 10 minutes.
3. Lay 1 egg roll wrapper onto a clean surface and brush edge with a 1 inch perimeter of egg wash.
4. Spread 3 tablespoons of the filling across one side of the prepared egg roll wrapper.
5. Fold the sides over and brush with egg wash. Carefully roll filling tightly in the wrapper and press gently to seal.
6. Place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment and coat with a thin layer of cooking spray. Repeat until all the filling and wrappers have been used.
7. Bake egg rolls for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Serve immediately with sweet cardamom whipped cream (recipe follows).
8. sweet cardamom whipped cream: Place cream in a mixing bowl and whip with a hand mixer, on medium-high speed. As the mixture thickens, slowly add sugar until fully incorporated. Add vanilla and cardamom and continue to whip until medium to stiff peaks form. Serve with baked apple pie egg rolls.
*Tip: Don’t overstuff these things and make sure the filling is covered by two layers of wrapper. This will help keep the egg rolls from bursting and sticking.