Hi All! So today is a sad day. Today Teri, her boyfriend and I begin a juice cleanse (notice how my boyfriend is not involved…smart guy). Yep, it’s true…and I’m SO nervous about it! Am I going to starve? Am I going to turn into a huge bitch for a few days? Will I be sprinting to the bathroom all day?!?! All these things have me really worried, but I guess I also see this as a little adventure….a hungry, sad adventure, ha! Why do it then? Eh, worth a shot. Why not! :)
I know, it’s a little ironic that the same day we go on a major cleanse we post the most unhealthy, decadent, creamy thing we can think of….but it’s just sort of wishful thinking, I guess. This is seriously one of my favorite pasta dishes…EVER. It’s SO good. Plus, this pasta seriously takes 15 minutes to throw together and you need a very small handful of ingredients! Please go put on your fat pants and make this dish. I definitely plan on doing so after this cleansing is all said and done. Does that defeat the purpose?..eh well :) Enjoy!
Basic Pasta Carbonara
Serves 2 to 3
1/2 lb spaghetti
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
2 ounces pancetta, diced
1 cup grated parmesan, divided
2 egg yolks, beaten
1 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
salt to taste
cracked black pepper
basil leaves, roughly torn (optional)
1. Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add pasta, season well with salt and stir.
2. Cook pasta until al dente, 7 to 8 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water and gently toss with 1 teaspoon oil. Set aside.
3. Pour remaining teaspoon oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and cook pancetta until crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain all but 1 1/2 tablespoon grease.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low and add cooked pasta and pasta water. Toss together.
5. In a small mixing bowl whisk together egg yolks, 1/3 cup parmesan and black pepper. Remove pasta from heat and pour yolk mixture over pasta and toss together until fully incorporated and sauce begins to thicken with the residual heat, 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Add remaining parmesan, season with salt and a little more cracked black pepper and serve immediately.