Hi All! So today is a sad day. Today Teri, her boyfriend and I begin a juice cleanse (notice how my boyfriend is not involved…smart guy). Yep, it’s true…and I’m SO nervous about it! Am I going to starve? Am I going to turn into a huge bitch for a few days? Will I be sprinting to the bathroom all day?!?! All these things have me really worried, but I guess I also see this as a little adventure….a hungry, sad adventure, ha! Why do it then? Eh, worth a shot. Why not! :)
I know, it’s a little ironic that the same day we go on a major cleanse we post the most unhealthy, decadent, creamy thing we can think of….but it’s just sort of wishful thinking, I guess. This is seriously one of my favorite pasta dishes…EVER. It’s SO good. Plus, this pasta seriously takes 15 minutes to throw together and you need a handful of ingredients! Please go put on your fat pants and make this dish. I definitely plan on doing so after this cleansing is all said and done. Does that defeat the purpose?..eh well :) Enjoy!
Basic Pasta Carbonara
Serves 2 to 3
1/2 lb spaghetti
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
2 ounces pancetta, diced
2/3 cup parmesan, grated
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
salt to taste
cracked black pepper
basil leaves, roughly torn (optional)
1. Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add pasta, season well with salt and stir.
2. Cook pasta until al dente, 7 to 8 minutes. Drain and gently toss with 1 teaspoon oil. Set aside.
3. Pour remaining teaspoon oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and cook pancetta until crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain all but 1 1/2 tablespoon grease.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low and add cooked pasta. Toss together.
5. In a small mixing bowl whisk together parmesan, cream, egg and pepper. Pour mixture over pasta and toss together until fully incorporated and sauce begins to thicken by the low heat (by careful not to scramble you egg by having the heat too high…unless you like that!), 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Lightly season with salt and top with extra parmesan, pepper and basil (if using). Serve immediately.