Cranberry & Orange Scones
2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 1/2 tablespoon orange zest
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 365 degrees
2. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. Cut the cold cubes of butter into the flour mixture until the butter is completely incorporated and the mixture has obtained a fine, mealy texture.
4. Add the cranberries and orange zest and gently mix together.
5. Fold in the buttermilk and orange juice and mix together until just combines and the mixture has formed into dough.
6. Form the dough into an 8 inch disc, about 1 inch thick.
7. Cut the disc into 8 wedges and place the scones onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
8. Brush the tops of each scone with a small amount of cream and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the scones puff up and the tops just start to brown.
9. Serve warm with a side of jam, honey, and butter.